Saturday, August 21, 2010

RSJO Concert, Movie Completed, Other News

Hello Music Fans,

I am very pleased to announce that the
Russ Spiegel Jazz Orchestra will be performing at one of New York's finest Jazz Venues. We will play at the Iridium Jazz Club on Tuesday, September 7th, with sets at 8 and 10pm. Make your reservations early.

The RSJO is:

Russ Spiegel: Composer, Arranger, Guitar
Reeds: Rob Wilkerson, Alejandro Aviles, Tim Armacost, Dan Pratt, Frank Basile
Trumpets: Colin Brigstocke, James Smith, Andy Gravish, David Smith
Trombones: Alex Jeun, Andy Hunter, Jack Davis, Brandon Moodie
Rhythm: Art Hirahara (p), Yoshi Waki (b), Chris Benham (dr)
Special Guest - Vocalist Dennis Jeter

Iridium Jazz Club
1650 Broadway
New York, 10020
(212) 582-2121
www.iridiumjazzclub.com/

------------------

On another front, I am pleased to announce that my short movie, "Das Boots" is finished and is already submitted to a number of festivals here in the US and around the globe. I have no idea how it will do but I am very pleased with how it came out and I am sending a huge "THANK YOU" to all those involved in the project. I am trying to arrange a screening now for cast, crew & supporters. DVDs will go out to all involved after the film's premiere, hopefully at one of the bigger festivals. In the meantime, you can find out a little bit about it at IMDb: Das Boots

---------------

For those of you who have been following this site, you are probably aware that I recently began writing a weekly column entitled, "Notes of a Jazz Survivor" for the website earbits.com. Well, I guess there's nothing like putting it out there to see what the world thinks of what you are doing. This past week I received an email from Dan Thompson, who is a professor of ethnomusicology over at Columbia University. Dan is also a writer and he is putting together an anthology of musicians writing about music and asked me to contribute an article to this work. Imagine my surprise and satisfaction of being asked to include my musings along with those of Grammy, Pulitzer and National Book Award winning writers and musicians! More on this later, but do check out earbits.com for all my writings.

Keep Groovin'
Russ

No comments: