Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Latest News, Gigs, etc.

Hello All,

It's been a busy time with lots of projects keeping your blogger occupied:

-I was in Amherst last weekend interviewing for the position of Lecturer of Jazz at UMass. It's a tough call, but I am one of four finalists. Keep your fingers crossed.

-My short movie "Das Boots" (formerly "The Misunderstanding") is now in a rough cut version. I will be going to view it with my director this Wednesday (tomorrow as of this writing). Very exciting stuff. Hopefully, Karlyn (our editor) will also be able to make us a short trailer so I can put the movie up to try to raise the funds to finish the project, which I wrote, produced and will be doing the music for. Stand by for more on this.

-The Russ Spiegel Jazz Orchestra has a real New York gig coming up - the RSJO will be appearing Tuesday, Sept. 7th at the Iridium jazz club in midtown Manhattan. Make sure to put the date in your books.

-On the acting side, it's been all TV shows so far this year: 30 Rock, The Good Wife, Mildred Pierce (an HBO mini-series starring Kate Winslet) and next week I'll be doing 5 days on Rescue Me.

And lots of gigs this week:

-Tonight, Tuesday, May 11th, 8-11pm: I'll be performing in duo with bassist Mark Wade:
Claret Wine Bar
4602 Skillman Avenue . Sunnyside . Queens . 718-937-7411

-Thursday, May 13th, 6-9pm: I'll be playing solo jazz guitar at:
Cranky*s Cafe

48-19 Vernon Blvd, Long Island City, NY 11109, Tel. 347.738.4921

http://www.crankyscafe.com/


-Friday, May 14th, 7-10pm: my longstanding restaurant gig is now a duo with bassist Kevin Thomas:

Il Porto Brick Oven Pizzeria & Restaurant, 37 Washington Avenue at Flushing Ave., Brooklyn, NY.

http://www.ilportobrooklyn.com/

-Saturday, May 15th, 8-12pm: I'll be at the lovely upscale Provençal restaurant L'Escale playing in duo with pianist Deanna Witlowski:
L'Escale
500 Steamboat Road, Greenwich, CT‎ - (203) 661-4600
http://www.lescalerestaurant.com/

As always, feel free to contact me. It's great to get feedback.

Yours truly,
Russ

No comments: