Thursday, June 7, 2012

Off to L.A. & June Gigs

Greetings All,

I've been lax in my reporting but the first part of May was marred by a rather scary physical setback. Around the first first week I woke up in extreme pain that continued to get worse as the day went on. The next day it was impossible to do anything and I finally went in to the emergency room to find out I had a pinched nerve in my neck. As I went to physical therapy it turned out this was accompanied by a bad case of tendonitis probably brought on by too much piano playing. 

I am happy to report I am almost completely mended, just some more long-term effects of numbness in the first finger of my right hand. Luckily, this doesn't affect my playing and so I have plenty of gigs and projects to keep me going.

----------------------

Off to L.A....

My short film, Das Boots will be having it's West Coast premiere at the the New Media Film Festival in L.A. on Wednesday, June 13th. I'll be heading out early Saturday morning June 9th to join my director David Capurso and actors Gene Farber and Sarah Ahlgren to attend the festival, walk the red carpet, schmooze, and see our movie screened. Oh yeah, and enjoy the beach & sunshine as well as sample some great Mexican food and go to a Dodgers game. Let's call it a working vacation.

----------------------

Gigs:

NEW GIG JUST IN: 
Thursday, June 28th, 8-10:30pm:
The Russ Spiegel Quartet:
Russ Spiegel: guitar, comp
Mike Eckroth: keys
Yoshi Waki: bass
Ronen Itzik: drums
Inkwell Cafe
408 Rogers Ave
Brooklyn,NY 11225
http://plgarts.org/ai1ec_event/jazz-at-the-inkwell-thursday-june-14-8-1030-pm/?instance_id=42
The band will be playing music from my “The Deep Brooklyn Suite”: a series of musical impressions about Brooklyn. Stylistically, the music features elements of Jazz, Rock, and Brazilian music, and showcases some of Brooklyn’s finest musical talent.

Sunday, June 24th, 8:30-11pm: I'll be playing Latin jazz with some compatriots down in Park Slope.
The Russ Spiegel/Tommy Mattioli Latin Thang

Tommy Mattioli: vibes

Russ Spiegel: guitar

Carlos Velasquez: bass

Glenn Lowe: drums

Gabo Tomassini: percussion

Fifth Estate
506 5th Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11215
Tel. (718) 840-0089
http://www.fifthestatebar.com/





Fridays & Saturdays, 7-10pm (except June 9 & 15): I am playing dinner jazz in duo with bassist Kevin Thomas at this wonderful Italian restaurant and wood burning, brick oven pizzeria:
Il Porto Pizzeria Restaurant
37 Washington Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11205
(718) 624-2965

www.ilportobrooklyn.com/

 
Sundays 12-3pm (except June 10): it's brunch time at Wyne a Bit. Awesome sweet & savory crepes (not mention scrumptious breakfast crepes) and a fantastic wine & beer selection. I'll be playing solo jazz guitar but musicians are encouraged to drop by & sit in.
Wyne a Bit Wine Bar & Creperie
200 Franklin St.
Greenpoint, Brooklyn, 11122
(718) 389-7171
www.brooklynwinebar.com/


Keep Swinging,
Russ

No comments: